Saturday 6 April 2013

Racking off

Today I racked off my wine. This is to remove too much sediment which can taint the taste of the wine. Simply I just used gravity to transfer the wine from it's demijohn to a new one and then topped it up with water. I still don't know how to use my hydrometer but I'll try and work it out and then I can work out if I need to put more sugar in or not.

I was a bit nervous with this process as I don't like touching the wine. I'm not very confident that the wine will work. However when I was sucking wine up the tube to rack it off I got a little taste and it's actually delicious already.
I got another demijohn from my other grandma (not the one who gave me the recipe book). This bottle is from my great-granddad's wine making efforts. I thought about collecting grapes from his vines too but it doesn't fit with my wild wine focus. I'll leave that project for the future.
This afternoon I'm going to collect yarrow heads and get started on my next brew, yarrow mead.

No comments:

Post a Comment