Saturday 9 March 2013

Introduction

For my Occupational Science paper which is part of my Occupational Therapy training we have been given the task of learning an all new occupation and this blog to record how I go.
The paper outcome is:

"At the successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
1. Understand and articulate the language of occupation
2. Recognise concepts of occupational engagement, transition and deprivation in a variety of contexts
3. Critique occupational taxonomies with a view to developing an understanding of occupational categorisation and frameworks for occupation focused practice"
So through the process of learning a new occupation I am expected "to come to an understanding of the practices, requirements, roles, routines, and purpose and meaning attributed to ongoing active involvement" or in other words the who, what, how, when, where and why involved in an occupation.
I am to spend an average of 15 hours learning an occupation which I am unfamiliar and inexperienced with but interested in. I am to organise this occupation and keep a record as I go.
My occupation that I'm going to learn is making wine with wild harvest materials for the main ingredient. I intend to make elderberry wine and dandelion wine.
I imagine that as I blog I'll explain all the who, what, how, when, where and whys about this occupation. But I can tell you that at this point I'm very excited. I've done a lot of preserving before but brewing is new. I'm also hoping that by making this public to my friends and family I can better explain my aims and experiences as a student of occupational therapy. Also without wanting to count my chickens before they hatch, I'm looking forward to some delicious wine as an end product.  

No comments:

Post a Comment